Friday, September 13, 2013

The Part of Me That Belongs to My Voice

The part of me that belongs to my voice,
She has been taken, starved and nearly naked, dragged through the woods.
Conquered and beaten,
Now tied to a post with her wrists above her head.
Week and weeping.

They whip her and she cries out.
She screams with my voice,
With her mouth open in anguish toward the skies.

Her eyes are full of bitterness when I meet them,
Her body young and pale.
I ask myself,
"Where are the brutes who did this?"
But we two are alone. 
When I look down,
I find the whip in my own hands, and I am trembling.


Dear reader: I am interested to hear about your own issues with your hobbies in the comments. Your love hate relationships with them. Am I the only one whose pursuits can cause nearly as much pain as joy?

3 comments:

  1. I can't describe it like you do, but yes, my pursuits often cause me some pain. Sometimes it's a good pain, like the growing kind. Other times it's a shameful, hurtful pain, like why can't I be better at this?? Or even why don't I work harder at it?? Sometimes it's a why have I neglected this so long kind of pain when the other stuff of life crowds in. I am learning though that life has these ups and downs in almost every aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you describe it! I think my current problem is a "why can't I be better at this" or "Why have I neglected this for so long" pain. I need to get back to singing. It's hard, but I think it could be good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Singing is one for me. I haven't been able to sing in so long that I don't have the range I used to, and it's frustrating. Writing is another thing. I love writing. I want to write. But at times I feel I'm horrible at it. I can never figure out where I'm going. It's maddening. So no, you are not the only one whose interests cause pain.

    ReplyDelete